Preparing for a Disaster for You and Your Pets
So you figure a disaster will never happen to you and your family, it only happens to other people on television. But when you moved to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada your chances of a disaster have risen dramatically.
Whether it is a wildfire, snow storm (yes, it does snow in El Dorado Hills), a wind event, a major freeze, or even a large scale power outage or a hazardous materials spill down the street, you and your loved ones are not immune.
Preparing a Disaster kit for you, your family and your pets doesn’t have to be a major under taking. Start by reviewing the websites for more details then work on getting yourself prepared one step at a time.
- Disaster Preparedness – General
- Disaster Preparedness – Cats
- Disaster Preparedness – Dogs
- Disaster Preparedness – Horses & Livestock
- Disaster Preparedness – Reptiles & Pocket Pets
Disaster Preparedness website links:
- California Animal Emergency Response System (CARES)
- Petswelcome.com: Listing of Hotels that Allow Pets
- FEMA Pet Preparedness
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -
Protecting Pets in an Emergency
- Red Rover formerly United Animal Nations
- US Search and Rescue Task Force
- Humane Society of the United States http://www.humanesociety.org/news/news/2011/03/disaster_planning_2011.html